Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 17:45:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, inode0 wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> While I don't see that as directly relating to the mission of the
> >> Fedora Project I understand it is important to many people and I
> >> understand there is an indirect link with the mission. But what
> >> indicates that is a problem with the distribution as opposed to a
> >> marketing problem?
> >>

> > This is the fundamental difference between the two of us I think.  I'm
> > asking the questions[1] and trying to find the answers.  You seem to think
> > we don't need to ask the questions.  That's why "does X cause Y" is a good
> > question while "Isn't it great how?" isn't.
>
> If I seem to think we don't need to ask questions why did I just ask
> one that you are going to answer later?
>
> The question I asked curiously is really of the "does X cause Y"
> variety. Restated it is does the state of the OS cause the lack of
> growth you cite? Or another way does the marketing effort cause the
> lack of growth you cite?

Unless you were misquoted the question you asked was:

  "Isn't it amazing how thousands of contributors doing whatever they want
  created such a spectacular OS?" [1]

As far as your question about the lack of growth, I was under the
impression that to you our growth didn't matter[2].  My apologies.

> > [1]  I'm asking these questions because I'm not happy with the state of
> > our operating system.  It's almost the entire reason I ran for the board.
>
> Good for you. The rest of us get to ask questions too.

I encourage that.  FAB is a good place for it.

	-Mike

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-February/130157.html
[2] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-February/130167.html