Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 18:05:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:28:01AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:54 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> And to answer your question about what "isnt' broken".  I suggest you look
> >> at our http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics page.  We've only seen
> >> growth in 2 of our last 6 releases.  Think about that.
> >
> > While I don't see that as directly relating to the mission of the
> > Fedora Project I understand it is important to many people and I
> > understand there is an indirect link with the mission. But what
> > indicates that is a problem with the distribution as opposed to a
> > marketing problem?
> >

> The marketing "problem" is this: Who are we marketing to? Defining the
> target audience - as broad as it may be - helps here.

I read your blog post from last month and liked its basic idea but had
problems once it developed to the conclusion :-)

I think that the Fedora Project's target audience needs to be people who
want to work on open source operating systems.  If you want to market the
Fedora Project, that's the audience that needs to be addressed.

If you want to market a physical product, like the Fedora Desktop Spin, then
that should be a decision made below the Board level.  Making a decision
about the target audience of the various distributions that we have limits
the choices of the people who want to work on open source operating systems.
Making a target audience decision at the SIG level widens the choices as
marketing/artistic/documentation/etc people can choose which audiences they
want to address via which medium.

-Toshio