Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:07:50 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 11:43:32AM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 13:15 -0600, Adam Miller wrote:
> >
> > Your example doesn't work, Xubuntu is still bound to the package set
> > in the Ubuntu repositories in the same sense that the Xfce Spin is
> > bound to the package set in the Fedora repositories. The difference is
> > that we understand that the Xfce Spin isn't a fork and shouldn't be
> > presented as a completely separate project.
>
> This only works if your special interest groups are completely
> segregated, and that they agree on how the shared packages work.  But
> what if you don't?  What if the Desktop (gnome) set wants the newest
> versions of PolicyKit, of NetworkManager, of DeviceKit, etc..  but the
> KDE group doesn't have any software that works with those, and instead
> wants the older versions they do have software to work with.  How do you
> resolve this conflict of interest?  Who wins?

An interesting note here is that target audience is of no use in deciding
this.  KDE and GNOME aim for the same target audiences but have different
ideas of how to reach them.  The details that moving forward or staying back
with these libraries and services would entail is not about target audience
but more about Fedora being being on the leading edge of technology.  Even
that isn't a good fit for making a decision as there's no demand that
everything move forward -- any app might be on the leading edge in one
technology even when some other pieces of its underpinings are more stodgy.

-Toshio