Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Feb 2 22:41:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 16:35:42 -0600,
  Adam Miller <maxamillion at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> +1 for the last ... 3? .. 4? ... how every many posts from Toshio,
> each well stated and I agree on the points stated.

I think he is putting up strawmen. Just because there is a target audience
doesn't mean that anyone not directly producing stuff for that target audience
is not really wanted by Fedora. Nor does it mean that the first step in
resolving conflicts is to say the people targeting the stated market do
whatever they want and other people have to change to accommodate them. I
expect that everyone would try to accommodate others to the extent practical
and only where accommodation is not practical would people be told that they
have to do things the way needed to support the target audience.

I think deciding who Fedora is most interested in satisfying is important
for the project. It provides us with a way to make consistent decisions when
resolving conflicts. It provides us with a way to better optimize scarce
resources. (Despite claims to the contrary, people donating time can be told
where their efforts are most needed and thereby affect how they allocate
their time.)