Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Wed Feb 3 03:23:16 UTC 2010

> I'm the one creating the "Fedora" product, the DVD that gets so many
> downloads, and the thing that gets network installed.  I have no idea
> what the vision is for it, because I have no guidance.  I'm just making
> it up as I go, continuing to take what was Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core
> and trimming it as necessary to fit on a DVD.

I would call what your actually doing, to be a "fedora" vision as a
whole or in general.  That is what I would consider to be the basic
overall vision of the fedora project and the packages that are currently
included (not the DVD you create, but the rawhide or F-x directory that
exists as an official release).

And what I believe everyone else (guess spelling this out for either
you, or whomever might not understand yet) is talking about, is taking
all those packages that you have had built (via koji, moch, pungi,
etc..) and putting them into spins and having them work like that.  But
to do that, and to know exactly what that spin needs to have, is the
argument of who needs to decide what the audience is for that spin so
they know how to build that spin.  And the further argument (or the one
that started it all) is if one spin has a package that is built one way,
but needs to be changed so that spin works, but another spin also needs
that package but needs it built this way (and the two ways collide) and
therein lies the problem.

My 2 cents, is choices can be good, but too many and they become
confusing and/or problems and you spread yourself way too thin.  You
work on so many, that you have lots of OK things.  But if you limit your
choices to just a few, then you have a few *great* things because you
can concentrate more on the fewer choices.

Anyway, prolly screwed this up so just delete it if it's terrible haha.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"