Proposal: /lib/init/rw

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 16:14:19 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 17:47 +0200, Slava Zanko wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > My bikeshedding opinion is /lib/init/state might be better. But if
> > it's just to be temporary, why isn't /dev/.initramfs OK?
> +1.
>
> After starting udev daemon old content of /dev catalog  will be hidden
> (/dev/.initramfs too). So this better than /lib/init will always visible.

But isn't this a quirk of how our early boot works?

> Currently we use /dev/.initramfs, which is just a workaround,
> because /dev is already available.

I'd agree with Bill that "state" is a nicer name than rw but Debian has
already been using the rw path name for some time now.

Although it's not directly related there's some discussion on the choice
of the path in this Debian bug:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=%23403863#10

Regards,
Bryn.