No Frozen Rawhide coming soon! New paths on mirrors!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Feb 8 22:59:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 16:33 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 09:07 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>

> > /pub/fedora/linux/development/13/  will become the new path of the
> > branched Fedora 13 content.  This is where builds from the F-13/ branch
> > in CVS will go, after they pass through bodhi as "stable".
>
> So let's take above directory layout.  So if I normally mirror rawhide,
> is the above dir what I would want to change to, to follow f13 devel and
> where the normal everyday package updates (stable ones I mean suspect?)
> would happen that are geared for F13? So this dir will also contain the
> night builds (isos?) as well as the boot.iso/whateverelse images from
> the /images dir are created here nightly and can be installed from like
> rawhide used to be during each cycle?

The nightly live isos would not be in this path.  There will be
attempted nightly boot.iso and other parts associated with it though,
and they would be in that path, eg
pub/fedora/linux/development/13/i386/os/images

> > /pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/13/  will be where potential Fedora 13
> > builds go after passing through bodhi as "testing".  This is where
> > you'll find the latest stuff proposed for freeze break and where testing
> > and peer review of these freeze breaks will happen.  When a maintainer
> > feels enough testing has happened, or enough karma triggers the bodhi
> > auto request, the build will be marked "stable" and show up in the
> > development/13 tree at the next nightly compose.
>
> So the above dir, would be used like official releases are done, via
> package updates go to testing first, then when feel stable (or however
> long it goes), they move to the devel/13 dir in the 1st paragraph?  And
> test images are created here as well?

No test images here.  Just repos of packages.  Yes to the rest.

> Guess shall try to summarize what is happening to make sure
> understanding what is happening...
>

> 1 - Rawhide dir is same, cept at feature freeze it moves on to the next
> future fedora version.

Rawhide content is moving from pub/fedora/linux/development/<arch> to
pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/<arch>

> 2 - Devel Feature Freeze branch (at feature freeze), that stable
> packages/builds are built each day, for the current version being worked
> on?  And also a testing devel feature freeze branch for testing
> packages/builds for problems before they hit stable?

I really can't understand this block of words :( , can you try again?

> 3 - Official release branch, currently as is for the officially released
> versions, to include stable and testing updates.

I think you mean the F-13/ directory in source control, and yes, that's
used for all content destined for Fedora 13.

> If above is correct or at least if not worded right but I am
> understanding at least, then have a question or two, but not to argue,
> but to understand why or the underlying part to it.
>
> Why couldn't rawhide just be the stable part and just add a testing dir
> to it?

Because we would then have to freeze rawhide production for periods of
time when we stabalize for a release.  This causes confusion, and
instability in pent up changes behind the freeze.  See the proposal page
for rational why this change is happening.

> Do the maintainers multitask that much to work on updates for official
> releases, develop a new release, and start work on the next release?

A single developer, maybe.  Different developers working on different
packages for different stages of development, absolutely.  Trying to mix
all of those different needs and changes into a single repo has not been
working out so well.

> >From just a user/tester perspective, seems a bit much and too many paths
> to follow and keep up with.  But hey, if you devel guys/maintainers are
> all bout it, whom I to judge? haha.

This work was being done before, it just wasn't published anywhere
outside of koji.  As a tester you should determine what it is you care
about testing.  The stabilizing release to be, or the rapid moving
development strain.  That is, test the branched content, or rawhide.  If
you pick the branched content, then you should also be testing the
proposed updates to that content.  In the past, these got very little
testing outside of the maintainer, they would just request releng tag it
and we hoped it was OK.  Now we're going to peer review these more and
have more confidence in these changes as they transition from proposed
freeze breaks to actual freeze breaks that will go into our release.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!