Support for separate /usr, was: Moving lspci and setpci from /sbin to /usr/sbin?

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Tue Feb 9 15:01:30 UTC 2010

Coming a bit late here, but anyway...

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 11:16 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> said:
> > IMO, you are facing a hen-and-egg problem: You've never seen such a
> > complaint, because using a separate /usr partition has never worked on
> > RH-based distros.
>
> Please stop repeating this untrue statement.  As I told you already, I
> have used separate /usr since RHL 3.0.3.

You two are talking cross-purposes: Ralf means that not every binary
in /bin,/sbin works without /usr and Chris means he's not stumbled upon
such an issue in years.

IMO, the more dire problem is that /sbin/sulogin links against
libfreebl3.so which is on /usr. That's just recently prevented me from
interactively running fsck on my root partition which had errors without
a rescue image. Somebody wants a bug for that or will it be closed
WONTFIX right away because separate /usr is officially not supported?

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty