LD Changes To Implicit DSO Linking Update

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Feb 9 15:38:52 UTC 2010

Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've been fixing upstream projects for weeks to build with
> --no-[add]-needed. The list of projects that fail to build should be much
> smaller now, especially for GNOME and Freedesktop stuff.

1. But have those fixes been applied in the Fedora packages? At least
NetworkManager is now failing to build due to this "feature" having been
rushed in just before the freeze, so that's at least one package which
didn't get fixed in Fedora yet.
2. GNOME and freedesktop.org form only a small part of the Fedora package
collection.

I really don't see why this change can't at least wait for F14! Breaking the
build of half of the distro the day of the feature freeze is completely
unacceptable. The change should get reverted for F13 and put into Rawhide
after F13 gets branched.

(I still oppose the feature altogether, but postponing it to F14 would at
least give packagers time to fix their packages.)

        Kevin Kofler