No lzma sdk in fedora

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Feb 12 17:08:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 18:02:56 +0100,
  Milos Jakubicek <xjakub at fi.muni.cz> wrote:
> Hi Chen,
>
> On 12.2.2010 12:50, Chen Lei wrote:
> > I realized from "http://tukaani.org/xz/"  the core of the xz utils
> > compression code is based on LZMA SDK <http://7-zip.org/sdk.html>, but
> > it has been modified quite a lot to be suitable for XZ Utils.
> > So I think we should ship lzma sdk for fedora in parallel with xz utils
> > and p7zip. Since xz utils are the successor to lzma utils, maybe lzma
> > utils can be safely retired in fedora.
>
> Retiring lzma (completely) is a long-term plan, yes (I'm the maintainer
> of it). Not sure about the right time -- F14?
>
> I'll talk to the libarchive maintainer -- any other objections against
> the plan to retire lzma for F14?

I think that would work well. If that happens, then I think replacing
lzma-lib with something that just provides the current lzma SDK as a library
would be nice. I haven't looked closely enough at that to be able to tell
if that is doable with just a spec file or if there should be a fedorahosted
project inbetween to provide some infrastucture for the package.