Board efforts: scope, concept, and permission?

Richard Zidlicky rz at linux-m68k.org
Sat Feb 13 16:26:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 06:29:33PM -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 17:07 -0500, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > An interesting note here is that target audience is of no use in deciding
> > this.  KDE and GNOME aim for the same target audiences but have different
> > ideas of how to reach them.  The details that moving forward or staying back
> > with these libraries and services would entail is not about target audience
> > but more about Fedora being being on the leading edge of technology.  Even
> > that isn't a good fit for making a decision as there's no demand that
> > everything move forward -- any app might be on the leading edge in one
> > technology even when some other pieces of its underpinings are more stodgy.
>
> I think if you look closer at KDE vs Gnome you will find a difference in
> the target audience.  One one hand you have people who want to use their
> computer to do tasks, and have the operating system stay out of the way,
> and on the other hand you have people who want to be able to configure
> their computer to work in a very specific to them way and have the
> operating system allow them to make these configuration choices.

There are many more reasons to choose a particular desktop system. Netbook
users will use whatever is usable with the screen resolution - I found old
fashioned window managers, eg Enlightenment that work with virtual screens
bigger than monitor resolution far superior to anything else.

Btw it stinks that such useful features that used to be easy 10 years ago no
longer work or are hard to achieve even for experienced users.
Anyone running Gnome programs over ssh sessions? Much fun.

Richard