Name that Tree!

Robin Sonefors ozamosi at flukkost.nu
Sun Feb 14 14:35:03 UTC 2010

On sön, 2010-02-14 at 00:00 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Why can't you just say 'The Fedora 13 repo' and 'things go into Fedora
> 13'? As others have said, this is how Ubuntu does it and it seems to
> work fine there.

Technically, it's not.

Ubuntu uses their animal names for in-development code names, and switch
to numbers for final releases. So it's current development version is
Lucid Lynx, which is scheduled to be released as 10.04 in April. The
latest stable is 9.10, which was released from the Karmic Koala
development tree.

Now, from my experience in the Ubuntu community, nobody actually
understands this, while a significantly higher percentage of Ubuntu
users knows what Debian's stable/testing/unstable means. I think this
suggests that the Debian model works better.