Git 1.7 and git push?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:05:53 UTC 2010

On 15 February 2010 17:38, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 18:08:37 +0100,
>  Haïkel Guémar <karlthered at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Le 15/02/2010 17:37, Bruno Wolff III a écrit :
>> > I saw that there is a change in the way git push works in 1.7.
>> > Currently I only do simple things and a typical workflow is:
>> > git pull
>> > Make a few changes
>> > git commit -a
>> > git push
>> >
>> > This normally does a fast forward update and avoids a merge.
>> > Is there another way I should be doing this? Does the answer change for 1.7?
>>
>> Check release notes, you can configure your remote repository to use old
>> (unsafe) behavior.
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/RelNotes-1.7.0.txt
>> Mercurial has a similar behaviour, they recommend privileging pull over
>> push operations because of their asymmetric natures.
>
> I don't control the remote repository. That would be fedorahosted in the
> case I am asking about.

Presumably you can push to a remote branch on the remote repository
(fedorahosted), and then merge on fedorahosted? Locally you'd set this
up by doing something like:

git config remote.origin.push master:refs/remotes/bruno/master

and then on fedorahosted do git merge remotes/bruno/master

(and similarly for any other local branches).

HTH,
J.