Heads up: X server configuration changes

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 20:32:19 UTC 2010

how about keyboard layout ?
f-s-keyboard (now system-setup-keyboard) used to send
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard
conf through hal to X

please consider the following points:
we need to specify two layouts with functional switching
(in previous releases we in ojuba.org were forced to hack and patch
many packages like gdm to get switching, for example gdm does this:
"system-wide conf should be ignored to let the user have a fancy menu
having all layout", then it fail to activate switching)

we need to specify xim as default input method because it's the only
input method that supports two-letters per key (needed for the two
letters لا in Arabic layout located on key "b")

BTW: how hard does it take to make the default input method support this ?