Fedora 13 has been branched!!

Michal Schmidt mschmidt at redhat.com
Wed Feb 17 09:34:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:04:13 +0100 Christoph Wickert wrote:
> This means that chainbuilds are no longer possible and this slows
> development down dramatically. Think of a feature like Xfce 4.8 with
> it's tight schedule [1]. E.g. we only have 8 days to build one of the
> pre-releases.
>
> When I made the Xfce 4.4.3 update for F-9, it took 7 days to build
> everything due to the long dependency chain that required a lot of
> overrides from rel-eng [2].
>
> This means that large updates like Gnome, KDE or Xfce will get
> massively delayed after alpha. They might not make it into one of the
> prereleases, which means they get less testing. A lot of features
> will no longer be possible in their current state.
>
> How do we address this issue?

Would it help to use a special Koji tag for this?
Let's say you'd get a tag 'dist-f13-xfce48' where all packages built
there would be immediately available for building dependend packages.
And then when you're done, you'd ask rel-eng to tag them all at once
into 'dist-f13-updates-candidate'.

Jesse, does it make sense?

Michal