Fedora 13 has been branched!!

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Feb 18 03:47:01 UTC 2010

> Till Maas wrote:
> > I'll remember this. But why don't you use a special tag for this instead
> > of a buildroot override? I believe this question is not answered and I
> > even might have asked it once in IRC. ;-)
>
> Because, as has been said earlier in this thread, special tags also have
> their problems:
> * explosion of special tags. If we had used a special tag for all the KDE
> upgrades (which all needed buildroot overrides, or would have under the
> current procedure) since F12 Alpha (which had 4.3.0), we'd now have:
> dist-f12-kde431
> dist-f12-kde432
> == beta was here (so the above didn't need buildroot overrides under the old
> system), F12 final also shipped with 4.3.2 ==
> dist-f12-kde433
> dist-f12-kde434
> dist-f12-kde435
> dist-f12-kde440
> For F11, (counting from Beta because that was the old system with
> Alpha/Beta/Preview), we'd have all these plus 4 more (4.2.2, 4.2.3, 4.2.4,
> 4.3.0).
> If every grouped update did that, Koji would be littered with special tags.
> * problems with merging from the special tags (what if dist-f12-kde440 and
> dist-f12-someotherlib123 both carry their own rebuilds of, say, compiz? It
> might not even get noticed if they're on different special tags. Depending
> on which of the builds "wins", one or the other dependency will be broken)
>
>         Kevin Kofler

We don't keep the tags around, we can remove them once the builds have
been merged.

As far as a special tag carrying a build different from the main tag, we
have scripts that check for this situation so that integration folks
like me can sort it out.

We obviously don't want to do special tags for every single set of
updates, but for larger sets it does make sense.  Release Engineering is
here to serve that need and take care of these issues.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!