Fwd: Inclusion of Ingres RDBMS in Fedora

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Tue Feb 23 08:07:51 UTC 2010

Hi Jay!

On 02/23/2010 04:09 AM, Jay Hankinson wrote:
[ ... ]
>      * Ingres requires that the server executable is setuid (non-root)

Actually I don't know any >rules< that speak against this. However, if
it's really needed, then we cannot really do anything against it. And if
there's a rule that speaks against it, there's usually also a 'this is
the way to fix it' guide :-)

>      * Current build process uses $ORIGIN for relative RPATH linking.

RPath is bad - And really is something that  needs to be fixed; No
matter which OS and/or distribution we are talking about!

>      * Executable stack code

And? :-) I'm not too familiar with NX. However, nobody will force you to
compile it with no-exec-stack :-)

> If the best approach is "write the spec, follow the guidelines, create a
> Bugzilla issue and we'll go from there", then that is what I will do. If
> I can gain experience by assisting in with the packaging of other
> software for fedora then I'm happy to do this too.

I (personally) really appreciate your wish to include Ingres. I'm not
working with Ingres, but I'm always happy to get in touch with new
databases; Since it's (also) part of my job :-)

And yes, the best way is to craft a specfile and follow the guidelines.

If you need assistance in packaging, please don't hesitate to contact me...

Best,
 Oliver