hdparm -B for netbooks

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 15:45:12 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 16:17 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 22:09:39 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Either the drive set the initial value, or the BIOS did. We tend to
> > assume that there was some reason for that...
>
> Well, the BIOS also sets the VGA resolution to 80x25.

ITYM 720x400.  The reason for which is DOS compatibility, and we're not
interested in being DOS compatible.  Moreover, we go out and discover
what resolutions _are_ possible, and filter them against the hardware's
capabilities in terms of maximum pixel clock, memory bandwidth, and so
forth.  We have constraints, they are discoverable, and we know how to
operate within them.

Whereas for disks, we don't have the constraints that determined the
initial choice of APM setting, so we're best off not messing with it in
the general case.

- ajax