fedora-release-rawhide, et. al.

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 25 22:05:38 UTC 2010

> Going over the various usage cases:
>
> 1) Release has not yet branched, want to switch, or use rawhide packges
>
>  Currently:
>   yum install fedora-release-rawhide
>   yum --enablerepo=rawhide ...
>
>  New:
>   yum --releasever=<next> ...
>
> 2) Release has branched; want to pull from never-frozen rawhide devel
>    stream.
>
>  Currently:
>   yum install fedora-release-rawhide
>   yum --enablerepo=rawhide ...
>
>  New:
>   yum --releasever=<next> ...

 $releasever just changes the variable, so the URLs are all the same ...
just with different variables. Specifically:

mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch

...is never going to ==

https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=rawhide&arch=$basearch

...I guess if we make sure MM understands what the new numbers mean
pretty quickly (ie. before branching) this is fine.
 I'm also not sure what apt/smart are going to do.

> Am I missing something? Do people think this would be better, or worse?

 It removes the ability to have a machine be on rawhide forever, without
user intervention, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing (but then I don't
do that).

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/releases
http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/whatsnew/3.2.27