Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 27 00:36:25 UTC 2010

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Just so you can't ever use this argument again.  I want fewer updates and
> I'm a Fedora user.

IMHO you're really using the wrong distro. ;-)

My point is that there are plenty of users who want the current updates or
even more updates. And whereas the people like you have plenty of other
choices, those users have very few choices, Fedora is the main one. See e.g.
the strongly positive feedback we got from some users for our KDE 4.4.0
update (and I'm sure there are many more happy users who just don't bother
sending a "Thanks, you rule!" type mail).

I realize you're enthousiastic about Fedora, being actively involved in it,
and would like it to be closer to your personal taste or needs, but doing
that would really be throwing out the baby with the bathwater!

> If I want lots of updates, I'd use rawhide.

That doesn't fit the requirements of the group of users I think we should
target (of which I'm part, but I can assure you I'm far from the only one in
that group). Rawhide is frequently broken. We want frequent updates, but
filtered to include only the stuff which isn't broken and which also doesn't
break things for users, e.g. cause surprise backwards-incompatible changes
to config file formats, data formats etc. Except for the occasional (very
rare) screwup, our stable updates are like that. Even updates-testing is
already too bleeding-edgy. Rawhide is not a solution.

        Kevin Kofler