Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Feb 27 06:36:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 23:48:47 -0600,
  Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> said:
> > P.S. I don't use enablerepo. I'll yum install a local copy of the rpm and see
> > what it needs if it doesn't install successfully.
>
> That seems like extra and unnecessary work.  You doesn't do anything
> without telling you, so "yum --enablrepo=\*testing update foo" is going
> to tell you more about what dependencies are needed than "yum
> localinstall foo.rpm".

If things don't work yes. But I would typically be expecting it to work.
Also my repo config files all point to local copies, which may or may
not be there depending on what I am using. So simple enablerepo won't
always work for me.

> I install packages from updates-testing all the time; I'll do a "yum

So do I. I keep a local mirror and use it by default.

> --enablerepo=\*testing check-update" and look for packages that are
> "interesting" to me (things that I use that I might would notice a

For stuff that interests me, I don't wait for it to show up in
updates(-testing)?, but rather pull it from koji. (I spend way too much
time looking at koji build lists.)