Thomas Moschny thomas.moschny at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 08:46:16 UTC 2010

2010/2/27 James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>:
>  And how many silently cursed the 100s of MBs you forced on them? How
> much did the above people appreciate the firehose more than having to
> fix one bad update.
>  F12 is 3 months old and has ~8GB of updates for x86_64, but the
> firehose has pumped out 18GB of packages (and that's not including
> testing). F11 is 9, is ~12GB but has pumped out 36GB+ (I'm not sure I
> have full package stats. from F11 GA). How many users want that? Hell,
> how many developers not on rawhide want that?
>
>  But, again, as has been pointed out to you many times now ... the
> current proposal is a tiny speed bump in that horrendous amount of
> updates.

Surprise. We have thousands of packagers (koji knows 1288), we have
tens of thousands of packages (17851 available packages in yum), and
now you are surprised that yields to a 'firehose' and a 'horrendous'
amount of package updates?

Instead of being thankful many packagers doing a lot of work, you are
trying to slow them down by a 'tiny' speed bump. 'Hell' yeah. Wording
is all.

I for one, like getting upstream updates fast. If there's potential
for breakage (api changes, configuration file format changes, and the
like) it would be nice if was warned, or better, it should be opt-in.
But that fits perfectly with the rules we have already for stable
releases.

So again, what's the point here? People fearing the distribution
'doesn't scale'? Whatever that means. Big numbers are not something to
worry about. You know, we live in the Petascale era ;)

- Thomas