Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 15:38:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> Chris Adams wrote:
> > IMHO you're developing the wrong distro.  It is statements like yours
> > that contribute to the "Fedora is a rolling beta" perception (and I
> > don't think that's a good perception to have).  If you want to target
> > rawhide with rolling releases of KDE, have fun.  Once a release is out
> > the door, try not to just throw a new kitchen sink in for the hell of
> > it.
>
> Some people actually LIKE rolling releases, indeed some distros use
> completely rolling releases (e.g. Arch Linux). We are currently somewhere
> inbetween (partly release-based, partly rolling), and IMHO this compromise
> is working great. We get the advantages from a rolling release model, but
> with a lot less surprise breakage as in a true rolling model because
> disruptive changes like libata go only into new releases.

If only we had some sort of rolling release, that tracked as closely with
upstream as possible, where the users of said release understood they were
drinking from the firehose.  Meanwhile, along side that release we could
have periodic stable releases that don't move so quickly.  That way you get
what you want and I get what I want.  Oh wait!  That's the world we live
in today.  Next time a user tells you "I want a newer X" tell them
"Upgrade to rawhide".

	-Mike