Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 16:41:03 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 13:26 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Oh, and by the way:
>
> Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > There is plenty of room for something in between your vision of Fedora
> > and CentOS.
>
> There is plenty of room for something in between your vision of Fedora
> and Rawhide. :-)

To quote something I just sent to someone off-list...I know I've said
this before, but I think this really isn't a resolvable argument, as
both sides have merit. There are those who want stable updates, and
those who want lots of new stuff, and lots of people who are kinda in
the middle (they mostly want a stable system, but will go nuts if they
can't get the newest version of Firefox or whatever). The problem is
that there are indeed lots of visions, and none of them is the 'true
correct one'.

Given that, you can't possibly satisfy everyone with a single update
track. (Yeah, I know technically we have three tracks, but the
separation between them really isn't sufficiently enforced in the tools
or documentation or policies).

Kevin's argument that we should just consider our audience to be the
people who are happy to take everything and stuff the others does have
some merit, actually, but seems a bit restrictive to me. I honestly
prefer the MDV model of two update streams, simply because I was there
before it was implemented and then after it was implemented, and I saw
that it genuinely improved things for users and even for packagers. It
seems like extra work for packagers, but in the end it kinda takes the
pressure off: you only *have* to ship the important fixes
to /updates, /backports is optional, and /backports users are good about
knowing that sometimes what they find there will be broken or have new
bugs or whatever, and tend to know the drill about not getting too upset
and reporting them to you to be fixed. And they know they can easily
fall back to what's in /updates if they find /backports to be broken; it
gives them an escape route.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey