Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 22:28:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:05:54 -0500, Orcan wrote:

> About rawhide: rawhide could/should contain more experimental stuff,
> such as beta releases or cvs snapshots of actively and frequently
> developed software.

Why? And what would be the benefit?

> About F-11, F-12, F-13: yeah, pretty much. They should all contain the
> same stable version of most software.

Cannot agree with this. When F-13 is released, F-12 is history except
for bug-fixes, security updates, and occasional upgrades that incorporate
improvements for issues reported for F-12 and older. To bring "most
software" in F-12 and F-11 in sync with F-13 is beyond the scope of
creating distribution that is preparing and testing a new release every
six months. If somebody finds F-(N) to be lacking, there is F-(N+1).

> (e.g. I don't like not being
> able to update some of my gtk packages, because the gtk maintainers
> don't update their package in older releases.)

Where to start and where to stop with upgrade madness? What may be
feasible for Gtk, would be a much bigger task for GNOME and other
frameworks.

You can update your packages in the current dist release and Rawhide.