Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sat Feb 27 22:33:41 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 03:48:08PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:

> I'm sure that guy loves it.  Me?  I don't like not being able to predict
> what my desktop looks like tomorrow.  Just so I'm clear, if we had
> implemented what you are proposing...  Fedora 11, Fedora 12, Fedora 13
> branched and rawhide would all be identical right now as far as package
> version numbers go?

No, because there are updates that, e.g. require manual intervention, or
are more likely to break a lot of stuff. These would make the difference
between the releases. E.g. an update from KDE3 to KDE4 should only
happen from a Fedora release to another, but an update from KDE 4.x.y to
4.x.y+1 would be ok. Maybe even from 4.x.y to 4.x+1.z, but I am not that
familiar with KDE upgrades. Or postgres updates are a kind of updates
that afaik require manual intervention, therefore they should also only
happen from release to release.  There was a good list about criteria
for good updates somewhere in the thread, I can try to find it again if
you want.

Regards
Till