Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sat Feb 27 22:34:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:05:54 -0500, Orcan wrote:
>
> > About rawhide: rawhide could/should contain more experimental stuff,
> > such as beta releases or cvs snapshots of actively and frequently
> > developed software.
>
> Why? And what would be the benefit?
>
> > About F-11, F-12, F-13: yeah, pretty much. They should all contain the
> > same stable version of most software.
>
> Cannot agree with this. When F-13 is released, F-12 is history except
> for bug-fixes, security updates, and occasional upgrades that incorporate
> improvements for issues reported for F-12 and older. To bring "most
> software" in F-12 and F-11 in sync with F-13 is beyond the scope of
> creating distribution that is preparing and testing a new release every
> six months. If somebody finds F-(N) to be lacking, there is F-(N+1).

Bingo, in this world we'd basically not have F-11 right now.  And as soon
as F13 comes out we'd no longer support F-12.  We'd force users to upgrade
immediately and not give them any options to plan for updates, etc, etc.

I think the divide in this discussion is along those who want to allow
users time to choose when to update (a 6 month window is a long time) and
those who want to force new updates on users ad-hoc.

	-Mike