Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sun Feb 28 10:43:39 UTC 2010

Le vendredi 26 février 2010 à 21:17 +0100, Hans de Goede a écrit :

> When I started working for Red Hat everyone told me that the most important
> thing is that working for Red Hat should be fun, which I completely agree with.
>
> I seriously believe we should also make that an explicit goal for Fedora:
> contributing to Fedora should be fun. And FESco should seriously consider the
> impact on how much fun contributing to Fedora is, for each new rule they think
> they must introduce.

I completely agree here. That has been my goal since the fonts SIG was
started: make it easier for packagers to produce good font packages and
try to stamp down anything that experience showed made packagers
miserable.

I don't subscribe to "if they are not visibly suffering, they're not
trying hard enough" or "packagers should push perfect packages, even if
it means jumping through countless hoops because tools are not ready"
schools of thought.

There are things only packagers can fix. Everything else should be
handled by tools so packagers can focus on the parts where they add real
value. If a process change puts more burden on all packagers because
it's easier to ask packagers to do stuff than fix tools, it's a bad
process change. And yes I accept than in some cases not burdening
packagers means increasing the chance for some problems. Perfection is
the ennemy of good.

--
Nicolas Mailhot