Impasse on packaging JOGL and Gluegen

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sun Feb 28 14:49:50 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 02/28/2010 03:39 PM, Henrique Junior wrote:
> Hi, gentlemen,
> For some time the inclusion of the software Scilab [1] in our repos has
> been barred by various dependencies, which were being resolved with
> time. Currently, the biggest reason we do not have this software in our
> repos is that it relies in a software called JOGL [2].
> The big question here is that JOGL, in his turn, depends on other
> software called Gluegen [3] and, more specifically, it depends on the
> **source tree** of Gluegen, as explained in the instructions for build [4]:
>

> "Step 5 - Check out the GlueGen source tree:
> JOGL GlueGen relies on the project to autogenerate most of the Java and
> JNI code for the OpenGL interface. The JOGL / and gluegen / workspaces
> must be side-by-side in order for JOGL to build properly. "
>

> At this stage, we have drafts of packages for both, Gluegen [5] and JOGL
> [6], but we got to the stalemate that JOGL continues to need Gluegen’s
> **code** to build his own build.xml, so, even if we have Gluegen
> packaged and installed, what matters for the correct build of JOGL is
> the gluegen’s code side by side.
> At first I thought it would be better to generate both packages from a
> single .spec, then I decided to create a separate package for Gluegen
> and provide a tarball of that Gluegen’s code as Source1 for the
> compilation of JOGL.
> As Chen Lei said, the fact that JOGL needs this code may mean that it
> will be blocked forever for packaging, but I do not particularly see a
> big problem.
> For more details, please, read the log in bugzilla and give your ideas
> regarding this question.

AFAIK we have had problems like this before with various bits of Xorg
(iirc) needing the sources of other bits to build.

The "usual" solution for this, is to give a package a -source subpackage,
which contains the extracted sources (and installs them under
/usr/src

So I think the best way to handle this is to package gluegen, and include
gluegen's sources as a gluegen-source subpackage, and then make jogl
BuildRequire gluegen-source.

Regards,

Hans