FESCo wants a more sane updates policy (feedback requested)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 28 23:25:01 UTC 2010

drago01 wrote:
> There has been a draft a while ago which did not result into much
> discussion ..
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Desktop/Whiteboards/UpdateExperience
>
> Which looks pretty sane to me.

It looks very insane to me:
* only critical bugfixes, security fixes and hardware enablement for an
arbitrary class of "system" packages which isn't defined anywhere. Not even
general bugfixes! IMHO that's not at all what Fedora is or should be about.
* only weekly pushes. We should target daily pushes. Our current pushes are
too rare, not too frequent. People who only want to update once a week
should just only update once a week. I don't see how us pushing once a day
would be a problem for them! It's important to push updates as frequently as
possibles so users get to decide when to update. We shouldn't decide for
them. Some users may want to update on Tuesdays, others on Sundays, others
(like me) as often as possible. Daily (or more frequent, but our
infrastructure would probably not like that) updates make that possible.
Weekly pushes force an arbitrary weekday onto everybody.
* application enhancement updates "at the discretion of the upstream brand"?
Why should it be upstream's business what updates we push in our
distribution?

Sorry, but as I already said back when this was originally proposed, that
proposal makes no sense whatsoever to me.

        Kevin Kofler