BZ 523646 - F13Blocker?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 14:03:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 23:38 +0000, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I originally reported this bug in September 2009 when f12 was rawhide.
> It was fixed but has recently resurfaced for both F12 and rawhide users
> leaving anyone with an intel chipset for video with unusable systems.

Are you sure this is the case? There are a wide variety of intel
graphics chipsets and not all behave the same. If they were all broken -
especially in F12 - I would have expected to hear a much larger stink by
now.

> Given that this kills quite a few laptop users, can this be escalated to
> F13Blocker? It is already listed as high for both priority and severity.

We always encourage people to nominate any bug they think may be a
blocker. Basically any time you ask yourself the question - 'hmm, maybe
this should be a blocker' - PLEASE just put it on the list, there's no
need to post to a list to ask people's opinions. We have the blocker
review process to downgrade bugs we eventually decide don't really need
to be blockers, so please do err on the side of adding bugs, rather than
leaving them off.

> I've not tried booting a live distro that is not a fedora one as to be
> honest, I'd rather not sully my machines! However, I've not heard of
> anyone using Ubuntu with the same kernel and xorg-x11-drv-intel version
> having the same problems.

The 'same versions' means very little, really. The graphics stuff in
Fedora's '2.6.31' kernel bears little resemblance to what's in
upstream's '2.6.31' kernel, or what's in Ubuntu's. Fedora's kernel drm
bits are much newer. Ditto, to a slightly less extent, for the 'intel'
driver: Fedora's tends to include newer patches than indicated by the
banner version number.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey