Our static Libraries packaging guidelines once more

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 13:57:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 12:16 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> Well, I think a reasonable alternative would be to add those policies to
> the AutoQA infrastructure, and if the package fails the check, it
> doesn't get tagged and the packager gets an email explaining the
> failure. That will get things fixed up. ;)

The only problem with that is that just about every packaging guideline
has _some_ valid exceptions (that's why they're all guidelines...) and
it's rather hard to build exceptions into an automatic testing system in
a way which doesn't get horribly crufty in a hurry. But yes, broadly I'm
in favour of this kind of thing. Mandriva does it to a limited extent (a
few rpmlint checks are run on submitted packages and certain failures
cause the package to be rejected) and it does stop people making really
bad mistakes.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey