RFE: Never, ever steal focus.

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Jan 6 21:12:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 03:32:26PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> On 01/06/2010 03:21 PM, Till Maas wrote:
>
>> How about making the gnome-panel give away its focus to the newly
>> created window? Within the gnome-panel, it should be pretty obvious
>> which actions should give away the focus and which should not. I do not
>> know, how easy to implement it is, though.
>
> That's pretty difficult for a launcher - how does the panel know that
> the launcher is going to create a window vs which is not?  And how does
> it know what window it is?  If you click on the firefox launcher, it
> runs a shell script.  That script (may) eventually run an X
> application, but it in itself isn't one.  What's the launcher telling
> the wm in that case under your proposed model?

It could tell the WM, if a new window opens within the next second,
focus it. I guess this should work in many cases. But in a better world,
the launcher could maybe tell the WM if this process or a child of it
creates a new window, then give the focus to it.
Btw. I do not like it in general if a newly started application does not
immediately open a new window and is ready to be used, but instead takes
several seconds to startup and then take away focus if I am already
doing something else then to wait for it. This is also why I propose a
timeout for the focus giveaway.

Regards
Till