Proposal: fedora-release-rawhide subpackage

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 8 16:37:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 22:36:59 +0000 (UTC)
Zing <zing at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> What makes you think these same users won't then also edit and enable
> rawhide at this point?  It's not much of a stretch to think these
> seemingly innocent users might see this "rawhide" package, install,
> and then also enable it; in fact, ISTM, a package that they don't
> have that promises some type of newest whizbang gadgets that they're
> missing out on might entice more of this class of user.  :(

Because it won't be on the live media that many of the install from,
or the default groups that would be choosen from the dvd install.

Which is more likely:

1. I am going to enable all the repos I can, oh look, something called
rawhide is already here. I'll just enable it.

2. I am going to enable all the repos I can, ok. Now I am going to
randomly look through the almost 19,000 packages for some that might
have repo files to enable.

> Might I suggest:
>
> $ chattr +i /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo
>
> just kidding, well, half-kidding :)

I don't want to lock rawhide in a cabinet in the basement with a
'beware of leopard' sign on it. I just don't want it to be in the same
packet of stuff that everyone who comes into the store gets by
default. ;)

kevin