Change to DSO-linking semantics of the compiler

Charley Wang chwang at redhat.com
Mon Jan 11 18:45:55 UTC 2010

Hi Fedora Developers,

This is a quick announcement of the proposed change to DSO linking
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ChangeInImplicitDSOLinking).

The change will force explicit declaration of links rather than implicitly
detecting links. More detailed info is here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange

A rebuild was conducted, and a preliminary (unsorted) list of packages
that have implicit linkage errors can be found here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DSOLinkBugs

Please note that many of the packages may be failing because of a few
DSO's. Further exploration is needed to evaluate this possibility so
we can apply one patch to the source of the problem instead of dozens of
superfluous patches. We also need (and would appreciate help with) the
linking of failed build logs to their package owners.

Thanks,

-Charley