Change to DSO-linking semantics of the compiler

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jan 12 00:14:31 UTC 2010

Charley Wang wrote:
> A rebuild was conducted, and a preliminary (unsorted) list of packages
> that have implicit linkage errors can be found here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DSOLinkBugs

I still think that a backwards-incompatible change to something as central
as linking semantics (the implicit linking is more or less part of ELF
semantics) hitting so many packages is a very bad idea and that it's
unrealistic to get them all fixed for F13.

I also think that this change will probably force us to ship .la files. The
only reason we didn't need them so far was that implicit linking feature.

Sadly, my concerns got ignored at the FESCo meeting where this "feature" was
discussed:-(

        Kevin Kofler