RFC: gtk v4l2 (webcam) control panel app + applet

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Tue Jan 12 12:24:54 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 12:39:52 Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you most likely know I've been steadily working on improving
> webcam support under Fedora. As you also might know I used to work
> at a Dutch University teaching Computer Science. I recently got a
> request from them if there were any software engineering assignments
> I could come up with.
>
> Which remembered me that it would be nice to have a gtk app for
> controlling webcam settings like brightness, contrast, etc.
>
> This has resulted in me writing the attached assignment, since
> this is now still in the planning phase (there might even not be
> any students interested), this is a good moment to provide feedback
> on this. So please read it, and if you have any suggestions for
> better handling of v4l2 controls, please let me know.

Hi Hans,
nice idea, I was thinking about same app some time ago (about time I gave you
that crap camera at FUDCon in Brno as it was only semi-usable after brightness
corrections).

It would be nice to expose Dbus interface and thus let it desktop agnostic for
example with proposed default Gnome UI but it allows for example Qt based UI
(which for example we prefer in Fedora KDE). And why I'm writing this? It
would be nice to incorporate it to our (hopefully soon) proposed Dbus Fedora
system configuration interface as it would be more higher level than classical
API.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>