Change to DSO-linking semantics of the compiler

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 18:52:15 UTC 2010

> ----- "Jussi Lehtola" <jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > So is --as-needed within the current default flags?
>
> As far as I know, no. The default will still be --no-as-needed.

That's correct.  This change does not affect --as-needed at all.

> The --as-needed flag will link libraries if
> A) they define symbols required by object files
> B) those symbols are still undefined when the library is checked

That's correct.  In other words, the libfoo.so DSO will only be used at
runtime if the presence of -lfoo at link time actually had any effect on
what symbols got resolved to what.  But --as-needed is not really apropos
in this thread.

Thanks,
Roland