burning an iso with gnome defaults -> confusing

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 12:46:52 UTC 2010

2010/1/14 Bastien Nocera <bnocera at redhat.com>:
> On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 12:09 +0100, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> Burning an iso file with gnome is really confusing even for a technical user:
>>
>> 1. i insert a blank
>> 2. i right click on an iso in nautilus and choose burn to cd/dvd
>>
>> -> so far so good
>>
>> 3. i get a new window stating how much free space the blank has (but
>> in reality it already substracted the space beeing used by the iso you
>> want to burn)
>> -> this leaves the impression that the cd/dvd isnt really a blank
>> because it doesent tell you that it is the free space _after_ the burn
>>
>> 4. after burning if device polling is disabled (a typical setting for
>> laptops if you want to save power) it will tell you "burning failed"
>> while the burning itsself didnt fail at all, all that fails is
>> actually to poll the device...
>> -> confusing
>
> I wouldn't expect it to tell you it failed, but certainly, things won't
> work as well if you disable things (semi-)randomly.

thats exactly what i am "complaining" about. it states that burning
failed. id expect it to tell me that polling failed. thats not really
"randomly" but  a common way to tune systems for maximized battery
lifetime. powertop e.g. recommends it, i guess that makes it less
random. i do understand though that not every single possible setting
can be tested before release, thats basically why i wrote that email.