RFC: gtk v4l2 (webcam) control panel app + applet

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 10:19:29 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 01/12/2010 02:25 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mar 12 janvier 2010 12:39, Hans de Goede a écrit :
>
>> Which remembered me that it would be nice to have a gtk app for
>> controlling webcam settings like brightness, contrast, etc.
>
> It would be nice if it also handled non-webcam video sources (video
> acquisition cards). Needed settings are a bit different : switch source (tuner
> channel...) set aspect (4/3, 16/9, etc)
>
> People tend to thing v4l = webcams but webcams are just one v4l hardware

I know :), note though that tv cards also have v4l2 controls, the things
you are talking about are not controls though, there are separate ioctls
for them. And doing things like tuning to a specific channel really is
something the app should take care of. This is intended as a soundcard mixer
like application. and yes I'm aware of all the issues with sound card mixers
and their gazillion settings. But in this case it is a bit different:

For uvc cams there is a well defined and limited set of controls.

For proprietary cams, we usually have direct access to sensor registers
and could go completely crazy with the amount of controls, the trick here
is to hold back with controls at the driver level, not to dumb driver
export controls down, like we are doing in the soundcard case.

Regards,

Hans