RFC: gtk v4l2 (webcam) control panel app + applet

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 10:22:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 01/12/2010 02:30 PM, Fabian Deutsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 12.01.2010, 12:39 +0100 schrieb Hans de Goede:
>> For Fedora-14 (to be released November 2010) it would be nice to have
>> gtk application for controlling various camera settings (brightness,
>> contrast, etc.) *and* a small applet which shows a webcam icon
>> next to the clock when a webcam is present.
>
> Very nice idea, also providing it as a capplet seems to make sense.
>
>> There already is an existing graphical v4l2 control panel application
>> (v4l2ucp), which can be used to model the gtk application after. This
>> application is not suitable as it is using the QT GUI toolkit, which
>> does not integrate well into the default Fedora desktop.
>
> Looking at v4l2ucp it does not seem to be that hard.
> So might this be a potential GSOC project?

If I don't get any students from the local University to work on this,
yes it could be turned into a GSCO project.

> Btw.: ekiga (http://www.ekiga.org) is also tinkering around with v4l to
> adjust brightness and stuff.

Once this is in place, webcam using apps really should stop doing this
theirselves, esp. as they get it completely wrong. Ekiga iirc just
assumes there will be a contrast, brightness, whiteness and saturation
control, without checking what the cam actually has.

Once could argue ekiga should be fixed, but the real answer is these apps
should stop handling this themselves.

Regards,

Hans