Desktop categories

Alain Portal alain.portal at free.fr
Fri Jan 15 22:04:29 UTC 2010

Le vendredi 15 janvier 2010 20:49:49, Andrea Musuruane a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Alain Portal <alain.portal at free.fr> wrote:
> > I'm sorry, I forgot to answer this :-(
> > And I see that perhaps, I wasn't very clear in my question.
> > I'm talking about the Categories entry.
> >
> > I could see in some desktop files provided by applications that some
> > distributions (Mandriva, Suse) have their own categories, and KDE too.
> > Examples:
> >
> > - X-MandrivaLinux-System-Archiving-Backup
> > - X-SuSE-Backup
> > - X-KDE-Utilities-File
> >
> > Of course, I removed the others distributions relative one, but where to
> > find a list of KDE specific categories?
> > Are there Fedora specific categories?
>
> For most, we use standard Freedesktop categories. A list is here:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

You're right to remember me, I didn't fully read it ;-)

> I think that the only exception (and it is really an add-on) it is this
>  one: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraStudio

A good initiative, but seems to be stillborn (stillbirth? In french : « mort-
né ») as it seems to be optionnal.

What I wanted to point is, as an example, my Utility menu is really too full!
There are 29 applications entries in it, this is unreadable.

On FC6, my Utility menu have 7 submenus:
- Accessibility
- Office
- Text editors
- Files