Desktop categories

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 22:42:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 23:04 +0100, Alain Portal wrote:

> A good initiative, but seems to be stillborn (stillbirth? In french :
> « mort-
> né ») as it seems to be optionnal.
>
> What I wanted to point is, as an example, my Utility menu is really
> too full!
> There are 29 applications entries in it, this is unreadable.
>
> On FC6, my Utility menu have 7 submenus:
> - Accessibility
> - Office
> - Text editors
> - Files
> - Devices
> - PIM
> - Others
>
> It was really more convenient...

There's no need to break the upstream spec for this. It already allows
you to specify the type of app at a pretty fine level (there's
categories for text editors and so on). Exactly how to construct the
final system menus *from* the categories defined in the .desktop file is
left up to the DE / distro to decide, so Fedora could choose to have
more levels in its menus if we wanted to.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey