Desktop categories

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sat Jan 16 10:17:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 01/16/2010 02:43 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>> and
>>>
>>> Um. We understand you perfectly well.
>>
>> So, you understand french? Particulary this? ;-)
>
> "Damnit! This is impossible! It's like banging your head against a
> wall!"
>
> "dialogue de sourds" is hard to translate literally ;)
>
>>> We're just explaining that you do
>>> not need to add extra non-standard fields to .desktop files to make
>> it
>>> possible to have these extra menu levels. It's entirely possible
>> without
>>> having non-standard .desktop fields at all.
>>
>> Alors...
>>
>> Why I get no submenu in the Utility menu?
>>
>> Pourtant...
>>
>> cat /usr/share/applications/kde4/kcalc.desktop | grep Categories
>> Categories=Qt;KDE;Utility;X-KDE-Utilities-Desktop;
>>
>> cat /usr/share/applications/kde4/kwrite.desktop | grep Categories
>> Categories=Qt;KDE;Utility;TextEditor;
>>
>> cat /usr/share/applications/kde4/kbackup.desktop | grep Categories
>> Categories=KDE;X-KDE-Utilities-File;Utility;
>>
>> Three applications, no relationship between its, but in the same (and
>> only)
>> menu, no submenu available...
>
> Because we don't set up Fedora's menu structure to have submenus, at
> present. But if we _did_, then you can see that kwrite could go into a
> 'Text Editors' submenu. kcalc and kbackup could both stand to have a
> standard subcategory beyond just 'utility' added to their .desktop
> files, I guess. The point is that the existing fd.o standard categories
> already have enough granularity to allow a distro to construct submenus
> _if it chooses to_.

Exactly.

Note that we had the same issue (too many apps in one menu) with the Games
SIG and I created a special games-menus package, which when installed
adds some additional configuration files which do sub-menu the
games menu in both kde and gnome (a must have if you install lots of
games).

Alian, take a look at games-menu, and perhaps you can create the same
for the utilities menu ?

Regards,

Hans