ABRT frustrating for users and developers

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 21:12:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:09:46 -0500, Tom wrote:

> Note: I haven't seen the submitter's end of ABRT yet, just the bug
> reports.  Maybe it does ask for more info ...

Sort of. The final dialogue contains two text edit areas below the
summary of what will be sent:
  http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/abrt-screenshot.png
Version 1.0.3 even adds a warning about incomplete backtraces.
So far so good.

Still, it's too easy to ignore the warning and send an incomplete
backtrace without filling in the text fields.

> but none of the abrt
> bugzillas I've gotten have included any.  I ask for followup, and
> generally the thing just stays in NEEDINFO state.

It seems to me that some of it is due to language barriers. There are ABRT
generated tickets, where the three steps on how to reproduce a bug are
filled at least, but with no more than two words each. It is my impression
that the same people would not spend any time on creating a bugzilla
ticket manually for the same problem they encountered, but now they only
submit what ABRT offers to send.