ABRT frustrating for users and developers

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sun Jan 17 23:58:55 UTC 2010

Tony Nelson <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com> writes:
> On 10-01-17 12:32:17, Mail Lists wrote:
>> Someone else asked this earlier - but why do users need the
>> debug-info packages - only the debugger looking at the tracebacks
>> needs this. So seems installing the debug files on every desktop/
>> server that has a problem is much less efficient than just on the dev
>> computer who needs the info - no?

> Apparently Linux has no mini-dump facility, so the upload of the whole
> core dump file would be onerous as well.

Not to mention that savvy users will refuse to consider doing any
such thing.  A full core dump would in many cases contain private
information, and you can't easily tell what you'd be exposing by
providing the dump.  With a stack trace you can at least look at the
text to see what it is you're showing to the world.

Between that issue and the rather monstrous attachment load that dumps
would put on bugzilla, I think we can safely dismiss the idea.

			regards, tom lane