ABRT frustrating for users and developers

Jiri Moskovcak jmoskovc at redhat.com
Mon Jan 18 08:18:11 UTC 2010

On 01/17/2010 05:57 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 17.01.2010, 15:53 +0100 schrieb Jiri Moskovcak:
>> On 01/16/2010 04:01 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>> I know that APRT is still very young technology, but after 2 months it's
>>> time for a interim conclusion. For me the conclusions are:
>>>
>>> Pro:
>>>
>>>         * abrt is a help for developers: I received one positive feedback
>>>           from a developer: The backtrace looks "interesting" but cannot
>>>           be fixed without a major rewrite of the app.
>>>
>>>         * abrt helps to fix bugs sometimes: So far abrt helped me to fix
>>>           three crashes in two apps (in Fedora and upstream).
>>>
>>> Con:
>>>
>>>         * Unfortunately 3 out of ~ 40 reports is not a good percentage.
>>>

>> I'm open to any ideas how to improve this.
>
> Sorry, I have no idea, except:
>       1. Don't accept incomplete backtraces.
This is to do, but what should be the threshold? should we accept only
backtraces generated with all required debuginfo?
>       2. Make a comment and the description how to reproduce the bug
>          mandatory.
OK, will do.
>       3. Add a timestamp to the backtrace because many people submit
>          their bugs later and they don't recall when it happened. This is
>          important for me, I need to know it it happened before or after
>          a certain update.
OK
>       4. Add n-v-r of the affected packages, so it is obvious if people
>          submit old bugs.

Do you mean NVRs of libraries the crashing program was using?

>       5. Instead of hashes the missing debuginfo packages should be
>          listed with n-v-r, so people can install them manually.

This could be a problem. ABRT determines the required debuginfo package
using build_id. It calls yum --enablerepo=*debuginfo* --quiet provides
/usr/lib/debug/.build-id/bb/11528d59940983f495e9cb099cafb0cb206051.debug
and I don't know any other way how to map build_id to package name if
yum fails.

Jirka