ABRT frustrating for users and developers

Caolán McNamara caolanm at redhat.com
Mon Jan 18 09:13:08 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 16:01 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I know that APRT is still very young technology, but after 2 months it's
> time for a interim conclusion. For me the conclusions are:

Abrt's getting a bit of a knocking in this thread, but I'm fairly happy
with it myself, it's doing its job fairly well, and I prefer it over
having no abrt. Its not abrt's fault that the crashes are happening :-)

I'd definitely prefer that abrts went to a separate abrt-tracker where
maintainers could sample the top X crashes for their apps rather than
getting a bugzilla bug for each one.

And I'd definitely prefer if the UI encouraged more verbose user input,
e.g. start off the user with some sample text that says "At the time of
the crash I was...." or something like that. Or a "help" link that sends
them to see some successful examples.

There are various things I'd like to see in the bug-report which abrt
can't/doesn't give due to various concerns, but adding them in abrt-gui
might be generally "close enough", e.g. GNOME vs KDE, gtk theme, X video
driver in use, screen depth, whether a11y is enabled or not, which java
alternative is active.

C.