how to speed up mock?

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Mon Jan 18 15:05:05 UTC 2010

> On 01/18/2010 09:38 AM, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> hi,
>> we use mock for local package build, but it's very slow. now we install
>> a new host just for mock with 8core, ram disks etc. it seems it still
>> slow. first of all most of the time mock use only one 1 core of the cpu.
>> is there any way to speed up different part of the mock build process?
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> ps. anyway is there any better place to discuss it?
>>

> Mock itself is pretty fast, and when it's doing source compilations, it
> will automatically use as many CPUs as you have available.

the real bottleneck is not the rpmbuild itself (with ccache it cab be
very fast), but the mock surroundings. suppose there is build which
takes about 2 minutes and in mock it takes about 5 minutes:-(
most of the time is in yum, python tar, gzip etc which all use only one
cpu/core and it's very slow!