ABRT frustrating for users and developers

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jan 19 05:58:21 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 15:12 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> I doubt this very much. Many people don't report the bugs when the app
> crashes but later, many reports in a row. Most of my reports read "I
> have no idea what I was doing when foo crashed", even if they
> submitted
> it straight after the crash. Only 2 out of ~40 contained the
> information
> I needed to reproduce the crash reliably (as a site note: both are
> fixed, so the number of crashes fixed it 4 but not 3 as I wrote in my
> initial mail. 4/40 is still a bad percentage)

'Bad' in what way? it's probably 4 - almost certainly 2 or 3 - more than
you would have fixed if abrt didn't exist.

I used to work in a supermarket, and noticed that it'd be much easier to
run a supermarket smoothly if there were no customers. They do insist on
coming in and messing up the shelves and dirtying up the floors and
asking stupid questions.

In much the same way, it'd be ever so much easier to run a distribution
really *efficiently* if no-one ever used it...:)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey